All about the software

DVBS2/H264 Video not displayed V8/V9B

Messagede mb56DATA » Mer 20 Nov 2019 12:22

I have new MT Pro V2 hardware with Win XP SP3 on my Intel Pentium Dual Core T2130 1.86 GHz laptop.
Graphics is Intel 945 chipset.
My laptop has only one display (1280 X 800). I use a 1m, high quality USB 2.0 cable.
I use a bench PSU for LNB (with externally locked oscillator) and to power MT Pro.

I have installed LAV filters 0.70.2 (0.71 Installer, supplied, will not work with Win XP)
I have installed "usrc.ax", and I have manually registered it with regsvr32.

All is OK, but the DVBS2/H264 test beacon video from Es'Hail2 will not display at all. I get a black video window.
I can expand the window but it it still black. No video is shown.

ESHAIL2_DVBS2_Snap.JPG
Black video with DVBS2.
ESHAIL2_DVBS2_Snap.JPG (220.32 Kio) Vu 14064 fois

There is no error message, everything appears to be working fine, and I can hear the audio OK.
I can record this to a TS file and play back with VLC OK.
I can stream this via UDP to VLC and this is OK.

MPEG2 video from BBC, is all fine. No problems at all. All MPEG2 seems OK. Snapshot attached.

BBC_Snap_MPEG2.JPG
MPG2 high resolution from BBC fine in MT.
BBC_Snap_MPEG2.JPG (227.41 Kio) Vu 14064 fois

The video test program (CheckMiniTiouneDriverAndFilters_V0_5a.exe) displays both the SUPPLIED sample MPEG2 and sample H264 video OK.
The test program will NOT show the TS clip I recorded from Es'Hail2 of the DATV beacon. The video is displayed as black as in MT.
I have attached snapshots of this.

CheckV5_H264_Snap_SmallResolution.JPG
Display supplied sample H264 fine in test program.
CheckV5_H264_Snap_SmallResolution.JPG (108.41 Kio) Vu 14064 fois

CheckV5_H264_Snap_HighResolutionESHAIL2.JPG
Display black in test program too.
CheckV5_H264_Snap_HighResolutionESHAIL2.JPG (104.21 Kio) Vu 14064 fois

The hadware test program (TestMyMiniTiouner_V2_0a.exe) shows no errors at all and 80% I2C speed.

I am pretty sure this is a video display problem, as it only happens with large resolution files, or something similar.
I have tried to edit the GRF file as there is a VMR9 setting "Maintain Aspect Ratio" which I think may help, but I cannot.

Please advise me, if you can, as to the nature of this problem. The same problem is with V9Beta.

Meci,
Mike Binks, de G0LJF
mb56DATA

Re: DVBS2/H264 Video not displayed V8/V9B

Messagede F6DZP » Mer 20 Nov 2019 14:56

Hello,

Win XP and old dual core!
It is possible that the CPU is too much occupied...
Could you look at the % CPU used when the H264 decoding process try to decode ( when you are receiving the high definition H264 video)?

Mpeg2 is decoded by Microsoft TV_DVD video decoder, but H264 is decoded by LAV video decoder.
I suppose that LVA_video_decoder lack of memory or %CPU available and cannot decode the video.
VLC uses its own decoding process that perhaps need less %CPU..

Difficult to give an answer about this configuration that I do not have in hand, but I vote for a LAV_video_decoder issue with your computer.

Jean-Pierre F6DZP
F6DZP

Messagede mb56DATA » Mer 20 Nov 2019 15:39

Thank you J-P,

I have attached a CPU use snapshot. About 83%. I did this over several minutes of receiving Es'Hail2 DATV Beacon (DVBS2).

CPU_H264.JPG
CPU use when receiving DVBS2 from Es'Hail2
CPU_H264.JPG (47.99 Kio) Vu 14053 fois

I am suspicious about the idea of CPU use, because VLC can display this very same station at the same time as TS is receiving it (over UDP).

I am guessing it is a rendering problem, as the stream can be saved and then viewed in VLC.

I can send you the short sample TS file and the GRF files if you want?

It would be nice to see if anyone else can just display this DVBS2 TS video clip on the TEST program (obviously you need to rename it first). Or am I wrong about this?

Anyhow, please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.

Oh I forgot. I have had Direct X 9 installed on XP for a long time (not new, for this problem). I understand that the default video renderer for XP is V7.

Mike Binks G0LJF
mb56DATA

Messagede mb56DATA » Ven 22 Nov 2019 16:15

Working on the problem...

MT selects VMR V9 instead of VR V7 from Quartz.DLL.
Despite this being marked DO NOT USE by the merit value.

This is a working GRF. See the Video Renderer used is 7.

FixXPWithVideoRendererV7.JPG
Working GRF
FixXPWithVideoRendererV7.JPG (65.83 Kio) Vu 14000 fois

There are three CLSID interfaces on my Quartz.dll. Each has its own merit value.
The SW is not iterating through each CLSID to find the highest merit value in my opinion.

GraphEdit picks VR7 when asked to make a GRF and successfully displays an HD TS file.

Mike G0LJF
mb56DATA

Messagede F6DZP » Ven 22 Nov 2019 19:31

yes I force Minitioune to use only VMR9.

Jean-Pierre F6DZP
F6DZP

Messagede mb56DATA » Sam 23 Nov 2019 09:50

Thank you J-P,

I have read elsewhere that MT will use the filter with the best merit value - so this is not correct.

I am sure that VM9 is installed with DirectX 9. And it is marked DO NOT USE (merit value).

Plain XP Pro is supplied with VR7.

So this problem seems to only happen with XP and DirectX 9?

Microsoft say....

"To ensure backward-compatibility, the VMR-9 is not the default renderer on any system. To use the VMR-9, you must explicitly add it to the filter graph using the IFilterGraph::AddFilter method, and configure it before connecting it to any upstream filters."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/directshow/using-the-video-mixing-renderer

1) J-P, can I override this behavior please? Can I supply my own GRF file using the readGRF switch?

; Graph : use of .grf file / utilisation des fichiers .grf
ReadGRF=yes

2) Is there another way to force the use of VM7 which I know works. See attachment...

Here you can see that two identical windows are displayed for the Es'Hail2 DVBS sample.
One works OK and the other does not.

WorkingGRFShowsEsHail2AndOneThatDoesNot.JPG
Comparison of VMR9 and VR7 (works OK).
WorkingGRFShowsEsHail2AndOneThatDoesNot.JPG (81.52 Kio) Vu 13975 fois

Thanks,

Mike Binks G0LJF
mb56DATA

Messagede F6DZP » Sam 23 Nov 2019 13:10

all my computer using XP can work with VRM9.

Microsoft say....

"To ensure backward-compatibility, the VMR-9 is not the default renderer on any system. To use the VMR-9, you must explicitly add it to the filter graph using the IFilterGraph::AddFilter method, and configure it before connecting it to any upstream filters."

Yes it is exatctly what I do, so it is why Minitioune always ask for VMR9 before connecting to the video decoder. It has always been like that since 10 years. Tutioune and Minitioune have always used VMR9.

Since 2 years or more, Minitioune read no more the .grf file you can create. So MinitiouneV0.8 or v0.9 doesn't read the .grf file.
We have not to use Graphedit to change anything. (I know that there are some publication that talk about some tweak like that, but that do nothing since 2 or 3 years.)

The only computers I have seen that can use VMR9 were computers without the specific display driver (AMD or Nvidia ...) for their video card, if you use the Windows generic driver, yes, VMR9 can not work.

I think that you are in this case. If you install the driver of your graphic card, you will be able to use VMR9.

Jean-Pierre F6DZP
F6DZP

Messagede mb56DATA » Lun 13 Jan 2020 15:33

Jean-Pierre,

Thank you for your help.

I have bought another PC; a Dell Intel I5 4 Core 64 bit machine with Windows 7/64 bit.

And a new HD 1920 monitor.

Everything is working on this PC/Monitor, but I could never get 1920 video to show on my XP Laptop at all.

Just to let you know all is OK now for me.

Mike G0LJF
mb56DATA

Forums Statistiques